Institute for Mathematical Sciences Programs & Activities
Computational Prospects of Infinity II: Workshops
(18 July - 5 August 2011)
... Jointly funded by the John Templeton Foundation
The Asian Initiative for Infinity: IMS Conference is jointly funded by the John Templeton Foundation
- Workshop on Set Theory, 18 - 22 Jul 2011
- Asian Initiative for Infinity: Workshop on Infinity and Truth, 25 - 29 Jul 2011
- Workshop on Recursion Theory, 1 - 5 Aug 2011
Workshop on Infinity and Truth
This workshop is supported by a grant from the John Templeton Foundation and forms part of a larger program hosted and funded by the Institute for Mathematical Sciences.
Theme. The workshop will focus on basic foundational questions such as the following.
- What is the nature of mathematical truth and how does one resolve questions that are formally unsolvable within ZFC, such as the Continuum Hypothesis?
- Do the discoveries in Mathematics provide evidence favoring one philosophical view, such as Platonism or Formalism, over others?
Leading experts representing areas across the Mathematical and Philosophical Logic will participate in this workshop.
Format. The workshop plans to produce a volume consisting of papers summarizing the views of those participants who choose to contribute. We encourage those workshop participants to provide draft versions of their papers prior to the meeting to serve as starting points for discussion. These papers should be accessible to a non-technical audience.
The workshop program will consist of lectures, panel discussions, and time for small group conversations.
Workshops on Set Theory and Recursion Theory
This meeting is a sequel to the highly successful workshop Computational Prospects of Infinity, held in 2005. The meeting will consist of two weeks, bracketing the Infinity Workshop. The first week will be focused on set theory and the second on recursion theory. There will be lectures on latest developments in these areas, with ample time for small group discussions. .
- Venue: IMS Auditorium
S17, Seminar Room #05-12, Department of Mathematics,
Faculty of Science, NUS
(Jul 22, 2pm - 5pm)
- Moving around NUS
- Getting around Singapore
Students and researchers who are interested in attending these activities and who do not require financial aid are requested to complete the online registration form.
The following do not need to register:
- Those invited to participate.
- Those applying for financial support.
- General enquiries: Secretary (ims(AT)nus.edu.sg)
- Scientific aspects: Chi Tat Chong (matcct(AT)nus.edu.sg)